White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt struck a notably optimistic tone on Wednesday, characterising ongoing contacts with Iran as productive and insisting that it had become clear during discussions that Tehran wanted to talk — even as Iran’s state media and foreign minister spent the same day publicly rejecting the US ceasefire proposal and stating that no negotiations were planned. The apparent contradiction between the White House’s characterisation of talks and Iran’s own public statements became one of the defining features of a diplomatically turbulent Wednesday, with observers struggling to determine which version of reality more accurately described what was happening behind closed doors.
The US ceasefire framework — 15 points delivered through Pakistan — asked for nuclear disarmament, missile restrictions, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and offered sanctions relief. Iran dismissed it comprehensively, with an unnamed official confirming through state television that the country would fight on until its own terms were met. Foreign Minister Araghchi confirmed the document had reached senior leadership but said talks were not imminent. Iran submitted a five-point counter-proposal that included conditions — particularly regarding Hormuz sovereignty — that the US could not easily accept.
Leavitt also noted that the administration was sticking to its four-to-six-week timeline for ending the war, calling the campaign a resounding victory so far. US Admiral Brad Cooper supported this characterisation with data: more than 10,000 Iranian targets struck, 92% of Iran’s largest naval vessels destroyed, and most of its missile and drone manufacturing capacity severely damaged. Yet Iran’s daily retaliatory strikes on Israel and Gulf states, its continued blockade of the Hormuz strait, and its steadfast refusal to accept American conditions told a different story about the conflict’s strategic outcome.
Israel carried out another broad wave of strikes on Iranian infrastructure including a submarine facility in Isfahan, and Iran fired back with ballistic missiles and drones against Israel, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. Kuwait’s airport was hit, causing a large fire, and six people linked to a Hezbollah assassination plot were arrested there. Saudi Arabia intercepted eight Iranian drones. The UN Secretary-General called on all parties in Lebanon to de-escalate and warned against replaying the Gaza situation there.
Trump, speaking at a fundraiser, reinforced Leavitt’s optimism, insisting Iran desperately wanted a deal but couldn’t say so for domestic political reasons. Egyptian and Pakistani officials aligned more closely with this reading, saying direct talks might be possible by Friday. The gap between Washington’s public optimism and Tehran’s public rejection created uncertainty about what was actually being communicated in the private channels between the two sides — channels that both parties confirmed existed but described in radically different terms.